11 November 2005

First gig

Last weekend I played in my first "gig" with the Fairbanks Steel Drum Band. I'm not sure gig is the correct term, since we played at an elementary school for their family night. But on the other hand, you can't be too picky about your gigs in Fairbanks - there just aren't many opportunities. The concert was fun; I only played two songs: "Jammin' " and "Yu safe". The rest of the time I just watched or helped with the limbo stick. Those kids are crazy about limbo! After the show I had to "fight" with two of them to get the limbo stick so we could pack up and head home.

It was a somewhat humbling experience - some of the drummers are really good, and they played much faster than I was expecting. Something to work towards, I suppose. The sound of the steel drum is a little too shrill for my liking, but its fun to play. I'll probably continue playing with the band, but maybe focus more on hand drumming.

No comments: