10 February 2006

Fairbanks Rescue Mission: a moral dilemma?

I mentioned in a previous blog that I would like to volunteer at a homeless shelter in Fairbanks. The only shelter here seems to be the Fairbanks Rescue Mission, a Christian-based organization that provides food, shelter, and clothing for Fairbanks' needy, transient, and homeless people. I don't object to religious organizations helping those in need - in fact I think its one of the most beautiful aspects of all (?) religions. What I don't agree with is when people try to impose their belief system onto others. What feels best for one person may not be the best thing for somebody else. I think all belief systems are fine, so long as they don't justify hurting somebody else or their property. Anyway, the Fairbanks Rescue Mission requires their "tenants" to attend chapel services and study the bible. I'm not sure that I want to support that... It's one thing to say that the food and shelter being provided to you comes from the grace of God - and even offer chapel services -, its another to try to forcefully convert you by taking advantage of your situation.

I'll keep searching though. Maybe there is another organization that I'm more willing to support.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you mean entry, not blog (sorry to be nitpicky). Anyhow, I wouldn't support an organization that forces religion on you.

Curious thought though: how would rescue mission feel if muslims (jews, budhists, etc) were to behave same way?

-i

Anonymous said...

"Requires" is the catch isn't it?

jason a said...

Yes, I guess "requires" is the catch. If "requires" was replaced with "offers" then I would have no objections.