19 August 2006

Sweet corn and puppy dogs


I've forgotten how miserable life can be in Minnesota during the summer. Sure, the temperature is only in the 70's (20's C), but the humidity is awful. I'm becoming a true northerner - a person who thinks that Minnesota is a southern state. I must also admit that I've forgotten how beautiful the countryside is near Maple Grove (my home town): rolling "hills", farms, and many different deciduous trees. It's nice to see something other than spruce, aspen, or birch. And the constant sound of crickets brings back childhood memories of summer.

One great thing about Minnesota is the sweet corn. Minnesotans are serious about their sweet corn, especially in rural areas. They know when and where to buy sweet corn from Farmer A, and when and where to buy it from Farmer B. They discuss it much in the same way that Alaskans tell friends where are the best places to pick blueberries and catch salmon. Lucky for me, my visit corresponded with sweet corn season. You can't describe how good fresh sweet corn is, you just have to try it.

The second highlight of my trip has been meeting my sister Carrie's new dog Frankie. He's a morky - half yorkshire terrier, half maltese. I wish I had a dog, though I'd rather have something larger than Frankie, who weighs in at a whopping 5 lbs (2 kg) and will probably be less than 9 lbs (4 kg) when he's fully grown.

No comments: