10 November 2006

Where are you really from?

Inari found a fun website that asks you a series of questions regarding how you think words should be pronounced, and at the end it tells you where in the U.S. your accent is from. Apparently she's from north Jersey. And my accent gives away my true origins:

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

I must say though that I did think the characters in Fargo sounded "a little" out of the ordinary. Actually, when I was in Minnesota in August I met one of my mom's friends who has a very thick Minnesotan accent, and I could hardly keep from laughing at her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"the midland" is where it said i'm from. "north central" took a close second. It indicated that i think i speak "standard english" but don't - and that i probably find it annoying when people ask if i'm from wisconsin. indeed i do [not really].

take care and don't let the 12 hour daylight difference throw you off too much. i'm looking forward to the solstice and lengthening days to follow soon.

joe m.