21 February 2007

Yukon Quest

This year's winner of the Yukon Quest dog sled race crossed the finish line in Fairbanks yesterday afternoon. At noon I heard that the lead team (Lance Mackey's team) was expected to be in town shortly, so I drove into town to watch the finish. It turned out that Mackey wouldn't arrive until 2:00 pm, so that gave me a lot of time to stand around in the cold and ask myself "Why am I here?". I was there to people watch, I guess, and to check out the latest Fairbanks fashion.

Mackey eventually arrived and we were all happy that we could go back to our cars to warm up. The dogs looked happy and eager to continue on, even though they had just run 1000 miles in 10 days, and in doing so broke the old course record by over 12 hours. Mackey is also planning to run in the Iditarod, another 1000 mile long race; it starts in two weeks

No comments: