25 June 2006

Greenland: Killing time in Kanger

Its looking more and more like I'll be spending the rest of this week in Kangerlussuaq. I can imagine worse places to be stuck, though it would've been nice to visit friends or family in Europe. I've managed to keep myself busy reading, watching the World Cup (soccer is actually an interesting sport after all!), and exploring the local surroundings. Actually I would've like to do a solo backpacking trip, but it wouldn't be so enjoyable without a tent, stove, cook kit, or even a water bottle. So instead I'm limited to day hikes and biking - the research center has a bike that I can borrow. On Friday evening I climbed up the hill behind town in search of musk ox. I found one.


Today I went for a long, beautiful bike ride. There is a road that is about 25 km long and takes you from town to the inland ice (the ice sheet). I didn't make it all the way to the inland ice, but I was close. I could've made it, but I'd have been incredibly sore, hungry, and thirsty, and I may not have made it back in time for dinner. I'm maybe not as stubborn as I used to be. I think I would've biked the entire distance five years ago.

No comments: