19 April 2008

chick chick

According to Jason, I have a bunch of weird hobbies (I guess geekines have to be earned somehow): among others, I collect religious tracts published by Jack T. Chick. These are small comics trying to get people to repent and to believe in Jesus. I don't know why anyone would like to convert after reading one of the tracts, though. The presented religious wordview is awful, and god is portrayed as cruel, unforgiving and mean. Tought luck getting in heaven, if you belong to a wrong religious group (namely, if you are not a Babtist).

My main source for the tracts is a Babtist minister that comes to the university every week and sits behind a table at the student union. I once made the mistake of actually talking to him. Now I just wait until he is preoccupied with something else and try to grab some tracts as I walk by. Two days ago I scored a big time. He was nowhere to be seen and I got to choose from a wast pile of tracts.

Tracts are kind of scary, but hilarious at the same time. Plus, you do learn interesting things: I bet you all thought that the dinosaurs were killed by global cooling, most likely caused by an asteroid hitting the Earth. No, no, how wrong we have been. The real reason is the Great flood. You see, Noah did include dinosaurs as well, but since the flood distroyed all the plant matter, the oxygen levels dropped dramatically. Dinosaurs were quite big animals and did require a lot of oxygen. So the poor critters died because the Earth could not sustain them anymore. (I don't know why god failed to save them by just messing with the oxygen levels. Not to mention how was it possible for anything to survive without any plants...). All this information is accompanied with a picture of a pitiful, coughing dino. Priceless.

No comments: