27 April 2008

The polka?

I have lost my polka virginity. For same strange reason, the polka is really (and I mean REALLY) popular in Greenland. Basically you can’t be a musician in Greenland if you don’t know how to play polka music. I went to a party on Friday – a post dogsled race dinner, awards ceremony, and dance. I ended up being forced, well maybe coerced, into polka dancing. The first song nearly ended in disaster. It’s not easy to dance with two left feet! The second time around was quite a bit better, in part because I danced with one of the best ones there, and in part because there was more room on the dance floor.

It’s interesting that dancing and playing music at parties – well at least traditional dances and music – has basically been lost from American culture. I wonder why that is. Is it that our culture is such a melting pot that nobody could ever agree on what dances to dance and songs to play? Or did pop music ruin everything?

2 comments:

elvira said...

well don't burn too many holes in yer dancin' shoes up there in da Greenland. we're having a hoe down in MN come this June, don'cha kno!

seriously though, we are thinking that a good ol' "barn dance" will be fun for everyone. and there will be lessons before each song so we can all figure out the "dosy doe" from the "alaman left".

jason a said...

Don't worry, I was just warming up my legs. Didn't do enough dancing to wear out my shoes. Look forward to the hoedown, sounds like a great idea!