09 October 2008

Rewinding to Ireland

I was in Ireland for a meeting a little over a month ago. Before the meeting I met up with some friends and their rapidly growing children (ages 6 months to 3 yrs). It was fun to catch up with everybody and to practice shooting photographs of people. Children make nice targets, since they don't move too fast, are emotional, and don't always notice when you're taking a photo. It's even better when they are children that you know, so that you don't feel like a paparazzi when you're taking photos...

Here are my favorite photos from that trip. I've thrown in a couple of scenery shots just for fun.

Lena, if you can't see us then we can't see you.

If only bubble wrap could help me focus with such determination.

Emilie, the "raspberry monster", apparently likes blackberries as well.

Sonja the Alaskan, who after spending a year in Switzerland still wanted to show her Alaskan pride (this was before she knew that Palin would be McCain's running mate).

The Cliffs of Moher, western Ireland. I really like the motion of the flowers. Makes you feel a little bit queasy.

The last two photos pretty much summarize Ireland: flowers, fences, and ruins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Jason!

I like the motion on the flowers, too. The wind belongs to that landscape and you have captured it nicely.

The first photo is my favourite, I stared at it for a long time.

jason said...

Like the photos ja. You're getting quite good at it, but my comment is about meetings.
Scientists seem to understate what goes on when they gather. Or is it that the rest of us overstate our accomplishments?
You will fly half way around the world for a "meeting", whereas my day is filled with *meetings*. In my *meetings* things rarely get accomplished, I am rarely enlightened, and I usually ponder most how much work I am not getting done while in a *meeting*. In my world, if the event takes an entire day or multiple days, someone usually feels the need to title it something fancy. It must be really important if it is a *charrette*, a *symposium*, or a *summit*, right?
What do you call it when you just sit around a table in Fairbanks and talk about ice for an afternoon?

jason a said...

You see, scientists are socially awkward beings. We have to travel around the world to "meet" with similarly awkward colleagues. We do get bored and sometimes frustrated at meetings. We are occasionally enlightened, but anyway most discoveries in science are obvious after the fact, and so we are being enlightened about something that we already knew. We just didn't know that we knew.

Technically, the meeting I attended was called the "International symposium on dynamics in glaciology", although I have attended other such conferences that are officially called meetings. Interestingly, the word "symposium" is derived from sympinein, or "to drink together". It may be that symposium really is the appropriate word in this context. We sit through lectures during the day, about 1/3 or which are good, 1/3 of which are bad, and 1/3 of which are not relevant to our individual research interests. Then in the evening we go to dinner and drinks, where we discuss future research proposals and watch sleazy, older scientists hit on young, innocent scientists.

Lena said...

Lena is so cute (and not just because of her name)... looks like a nice trip! um, I just discovered you two have a blog. ? it's very entertaining and y'all take some nice photos. i'm looking forward to reading this winter!