09 January 2009

Library criminal

That's how I felt this morning.

---------------------

Story: I've been slowly reading Tin Drum by Gunter Grass. It's an interesting book, but not a page turner, and besides, after spending all day trying to use my brain I'm not always motivated to read at night. I first checked out the book from the public library in October. The first renewal wasn't a problem. When I went to renew it a second time I had to ask for permission from the circulation desk. Today, I went to renew it a third time.

Me: Hi, I'd like to renew this book. I've already renewed twice, so can I get permission to renew it a third time?

Librarian: You've already had it three months?

Me: Yeah..

Librarian: I don't think we can do that.

Me: And... why not?

Librarian: We don't like books being out of the library for long. How much longer do you need it, a week?

Me: I was hoping for another month. If somebody wants it can't they just put their name and list or have you contact me?

Librarian: ...

Me: Well, whatever, I don't need to renew it, it's okay.

Librarian: Let me see if we have any extra copies...

Librarian gives me a dirty look and says "I'll tell the check out counter that it's okay to renew it again".

---------------------

Is it wrong to keep renewing a book? Why do I have to ask permission? Should I be treated like teenager that is continuously late for class? People aren't exactly waiting in line for this book. On top of it all, our library's method of dealing with overdue books is to send out weekly reminders in the mail. There are no overdue book fees. Seems to me that the solution in the future is to not even attempt to renew the book.

Shouldn't technology (i.e., e-mail and online library accounts) have prevented this conversation from ever happening?

No comments: