14 March 2009

Local exploration

Today, with the help of a couple of dogs, I managed to prove something that I had long suspected: the trails by our cabin connect to the Dunbar-Livengood trail. This means that if I so desired, I could ski from our cabin to the Bering Strait, and if courageous/stupid enough, over the strait and into Russia. I doubt that I'll ever do anything like that, but it's pretty cool to know that it's a possibility.

I've been thinking a lot about the future lately. If things go according to plan, I will be graduating a year from now. It's difficult to see how I would be able to stay in Fairbanks and keep doing the research that I'm doing, but it's also difficult to imagine leaving Fairbanks. A part of me is excited for the opportunities (hopefully) awaiting me elsewhere, but a part of me wants to buy a cabin, a dog team, and a canoe, and spend my life exploring the Arctic. Maybe I can find a compromise... Or maybe I've been reading too many books about Arctic exploration.

No comments: