26 May 2009

Columbia Glacier

As usual, I find myself back-blogging. It's been a busy couple of months, what with working on the second chapter of my thesis, helping Inari get ready for her exhibition at Well Street Art Company (photos coming eventually), a couple of canoe trips, a new (for me) road bike, some spring cleaning, a backpacking trip, and a weeklong field excursion to Columbia Glacier.

(Aside: Why is it that the day after I wash the windows of our cabin, some poor little bird commits suicide by flying straight into one of the windows?)

My field trip to Columbia Glacier (near Valdez) was rather unplanned on my part - a friend/colleague called me on a Monday asking me if I'd like to go along because somebody had hurt their back and wasn't able to go. We were to fly to the glacier on Thursday... I couldn't resist, so I scrambled to finish some things at work and get my stuff packed, and three days later I was in Valdez.

It was really cool to see Columbia again (I was there for a couple of hours in 2004). It's a beautiful place, but it's also pretty important historically (well, at least to glaciology) and shares some similarities with Jakobshavn Isbrae ("my" glacier). And, the trip was a much needed break from thesis writing, which has been pretty all-consuming lately.

We had great weather the entire week, so that we finished most of the work rather quickly and had time to sit and watch the glacier.

The drive back to Fairbanks was nice as well. The view going over Thompson Pass:

4 comments:

masten said...

jason, i am so glad that you got to go for more than a few hours this time, thank for the neat pix

masten said...

p.s. sorry bout the windows, that's why i never clean mine, teehee

jason a said...

There is something to be said for leaving a bit of dirt on the windows, isn't there?

Anonymous said...

it's true - the dirt on the windows is why the bird doesn't see a nice reflection of the woods and fly direct.non-stop into it. sorry!
- elvira