16 May 2008

Greenland photos

I've now had some time to go through my photos from the past month. I thought I'd post my favorites. I didn't take very many while I was in the field - I guess I've been to our site enough times that I can be there without feeling like I need to take a photo every 10 minutes.

A dog team on its way back to Ilulissat.

Naja took me dogsledding a couple of times in April. On this trip we headed straight up the hill in the distance. It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed seeing Greenland in "winter".

My favorite of Naja's dogs - a youngster name Nuka. She was really sweet. Naja doesn't let the dogs put their feet up on you, so this one figured out that she could stand backwards and lean into you for maximum petting.

The town of Uummannaq, which is named after its heart-shaped mountain. The town is on a tiny little island. To get to Uumannaq you can take a dogsled, a helicopter, or, for a short part of the year, by boat. It has the northernmost port in Greenland.

The view from my hotel room, looking east across the sea ice.

Aerial photo of sea ice, taken during the helicopter trip from Uummannaq to Qaarsut. From Qaarsut I boarded a larger plane and flew to Ilulissat.

An iceberg surrounded by sea ice.

Myself wrestling the camera away from Isbjorn.

No comments: