17 May 2008

What I'm listening, reading, watching: May 2008

Listening: Mr. Pitiful by Matt Costa

I discovered this little gem (great video) when I was looking through the Brushfire Records website. Brushfire Records is musician-owned company featuring some very good pop musicians (G. Love, Jack Johnson, Mason Jennings). I'm not so keen on Matt Costa's other songs, put I can't get this one out of my head. See if you can listen to it without tapping your feet and nodding your head. Its really catchy. I guess I'm a sucker for good pop music.


Reading: High Fidelity, A Long Way Down, and Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Since I'm on the topic of pop culture... Nick Hornby's books mix emotional turmoil and pop culture into funny, witty, and insightful stories. I've now read all of his novels and his autobiography (Fever Pitch, which is interwoven with the history of the Arsenal soccer club). I think the best two are High Fidelity and About a Boy, but they're all worth reading. I don't know of any other authors who can make breaking up with a girlfriend or contemplating suicide so funny. I'm sure that last sentence makes a lot more sense to people who have read any of his books.


Watching: Northern Exposure

Inari and I have now watched the first two seasons of Northern Exposure. I remember hearing of the show as I kid, but I never watched it. Its actually quite good, even though its portrayal of Alaska is off the wall. But then again, Alaska is a little off the wall. All of the characters are entertaining and unique. The show can be a little too bizarre at times, but I think it is just bizarre enough that you're okay with it. What I mean is, when you're watching the show you realize that you're not watching reality and you come to expect totally crazy stories in every episode.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason

We too watch the same serie in Finland. Here it's called Villi Pohjola, means the Wild North. We found it very interesting, a little bit childish, witch is not bad at all.

Terkkuja Suomesta, greetings from Finland to both of you

Eila ja Kalevi